Wilken cemetery

Copyright: Sabine Grabowski

The name of the village Wilken comes from the Polish word meaning “wolf”. It is probably a family name of the first owners of the village. In the 1930s there was a grocery store and an inn with a stage where dance and theater performances took place. It was not until 1938 that the name of the village was changed to Wilkenhof as part of the intensified national socialist Germanization policy. Today, only a few stone foundations of old houses, an almost completely overgrown village street and a cemetery with 69 graves bear witness to the former existence of the village.